My husband and I just got done with a vacation together. I will start this by saying there are fewer things greater than taking a hot shower and laying back in your own bed after a long weekend away! Ahh… as I sit here and reflect on the weekend I can’t help but think how far Adam and I have come and how much we have accomplished… so for this of you in first year or two of marriage this one is all for you – the 5 reasons that have kept us married.
1. Reason uno! Acceptance of things you cannot change. When we first got married I had unrealistically romanticized marriage. Marriage in the beginning is not the fairytale. You have to learn to love through all of the hard stuff even the stuff you don’t like. You have to accept that person for all the shit that drives you nuts and leading into my next reason recognition and appreciation for that persons greatmess!
2. Love alone is not enough. You need to learn to take the small thing and appreciate them in the hard times. Eek! That can be hard! While on my trip with my husband this weekend for example, imagine a couple biking through a foreign city. Cute ya? Or maybe they get lost a lot and one gets irritated… that one was me. It was so me, I am ten times over better at navigating and recognizing landmarks in new places – call it a gift. I could’ve snapped a hangry moment of dissatisfaction… but I try to stop and look at all the things he does right! Because to be honest it’s hard to be in charge of direction when you’re in a foreign place, and for all the things he does perfectly this is such a stupid thing to be upset about and ruin a perfectly good vacation with each other.
3. Pick Thy Battles!! You’ve heard it before so I won’t tangent on this one, but for real don’t be stupid, pick the important things to fight about, and don’t do what I occasionally do which is fight about a situation that isn’t even real… like where you’re building a house if you’re not in a place to build your house yet.
4. Be Clear and Concise- that’s pretty self explanatory but on the other end if you do t understand your partner in what they’re saying. In a nice and lovely tone, ask them to re state what they’re saying or wanting it can make a world of difference if you actually understand each other.
5. Obvious or not- have sex. Not all the time, or do? Doesn’t matter but do it for each other try new things enjoy your time together. It’s not very often in this busy life you get minutes with your spouse ESPECIALLY if you have kids. (We have 2 they’re awesome!) but sexy time for each other, and love your time together every moment that you can.
Well, that’s all I got for tonight! Enjoy the long weekend 😉